Recently, I overheard two women in the waiting room at the salon. They looked like they were in their late 50’s, early 60’s talking about their aches and pains and how life is all downhill once you reach a certain age.
I cringed as I waited for my name to be called. I knew that if I sat there and listened to any more of the negative self-talk and how these two have convinced themselves that life is doom and gloom once you hit a certain age, I was going to say something I would regret.
“Oh, please call my name soon,” I thought to myself as my heart started to beat a little faster, and my face felt hot. To keep me from opening up my mouth, I kept my head down in my magazine, trying to mind my own business, and wait for my name to be called. I was hoping they would change the subject, but they went on about how difficult life is at their age and that their bodies are no longer the same.
“It doesn’t have to be that way!” This time, the thoughts did not stay in my head but escaped from my lips. “I know lots of people your age who feel great.” “It’s all about lifestyle choices.”
There…I said it…it was a weak moment for me. I want everyone to feel their best and live a long, healthy, active, and pain-free life (physically and emotionally). I’m just living by my Major, Definite, Purpose, that I wrote in 2010 (see above).
- Eat or drink your greens. Get the good stuff at your local farm (Like Dreyer Farms) or find a local farmers market. The fresh stuff always tastes better. Check out our Pinterest nutrition board for inspiration. https://www.pinterest.com/activelifefitness/nutrition/
- Find a park and walk – move that body!
- SLEEP…so important!
- Cut down or cut out sugar, alcohol, and all processed foods.
- Google “portion sizes” to get a better idea of how much food you should be consuming.
- Get involved in a strength training program.
Active Life Fitness Personal Trainers and Gym
94 North Avenue
Garwood, NJ 07027